Your baby deserve the best of the best, right?
Although, if we are being honest here, if your baby is sound asleep, you get some kick out of it, too.
It is only natural for new parents to get overwhelmed with the changes.
But, really, you just need to focus on one task at a time.
So, for this article, we will only be discussing about a certain way you can improve your baby’s sleep quality. It is a no-brainer, actually, but often overlooked. Just like with adults, the trick lies on the mattress.
Really? Does it matter what crib mattress you buy?
Well, yes, really. Here are some tips in finding the best mattress for your baby’s crib.
How To Find The Perfect Mattress For Your Little Tot’s Cot
First, When Should You Purchase Your Baby’s Mattress?
Honestly, this should be one of your first purchases when setting up your baby’s room. After all, the crib is its most essential piece in it.
Some parents prefer to include it on their registry, while others prefer to take charge. Whatever you choose, there is nothing wrong with it so long as you make sure that the crib and the mattress are purchased at the same time.
It will just make things simpler for you. Imagine if you buy your crib a few weeks before your mattress, I am quite sure you will not be able to memorize all its details. You might end up purchasing a mattress that is either too big or too small. You know, how babies can be. You can’t expect them to stay in one place, and having an incorrectly sized mattress can leave gaps and spaces that may cause them harm.
Think of the crib as the babysitter you leave your offspring with when it is time to take your well-deserved rest. You would not want to leave your child with someone who does not meet your standards, right?
Next, What Are The Qualifications Of A Good Mattress For Babies?
In terms of size and shape.
There are countries like the US that mandate the minimum and maximum size of the mattresses and cribs. You can buy different brands and it will still work together perfectly. However, if you prefer an oddly shaped crib, such as a round one, you might need to check out specialty stores.
Also, nowadays, parents look for the best mini crib mattress because this smaller version has become increasingly popular.
In terms of mattress materials
Which materials are suitable for your baby? Should you go for foam cribs or coils? Foam mattresses are lighter and cheaper than those with inner coils. If you prefer mattresses with coils, low coil mattresses will do. The higher number of coils means the price will also get higher. No need to invest on mattresses with high number of coils because crib mattresses are not for long term us, anyway.
Heavy mattresses are also not reasonable. The thing is, beddings for a crib mattress need to be changed twice a week. You will only be making the task difficult for you if you opt for heavy ones. Weight does not determine the density, anyways.. A mattress in between 7 pounds to 15 pounds will be perfect for you and your baby.
In terms of cover material
For your baby’s protection an anti -microbial layer maybe something that you will be interested with. This will dramatically lessen the potential build-up of germs from diaper accidents or spits.
The fabric seams must be smooth. Make sure that there are no areas where it might get ripped open easily.
Also, it should go without saying that a waterproof and breathable crib mattress is the way to go. You do not want your baby to suffer from sweating at night or sleep on an easily stained mattress, right? The airflow of the mattress should be able to ensure a comfortable and cool surface. Water-proof surfaces are easier to clean and will not retain any moisture from either sweat or pee.
Unlike with adults, constant cleaning is required for mattresses used by babies. Diapers are not always dependable. In the times that leaks or stains occur, a removable and machine-washable cover will save the day. Also, any material that can withstand machine washing is a lot sturdier than those that are only for hand-washing.
In terms of price
Budget should not be a cause of concern. There are many safe and long-lasting crib mattresses that would not damage your bank account. To get an idea, spending around $75 to a hundred dollars is already enough. Any price beyond that is considerably expensive.
Most people overlook the amount of money they end up spending when they try to go for cheap crib mattresses. For example, if you buy a mattress for less,it may appear to be a good deal. But, you might have to buy waterproof cover or other additional features to make it better for your child. If you sum it all up, the cost might be pricier. Same goes for those who settle for second hand crib mattresses. Most of these do not last very long. You would not want to make another purchase, would you?
Okay, So What Are The Choices Available Regarding The Different Types Of Crib Mattresses?
There are three types of mattresses, but the other one is not as popular as the first two on the list. These mattresses can support your baby’s growth and help avoid Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- The first one, mentioned earlier, is the ever dependent foam mattress. This is probably the cheapest and most common choice by parents. This type vary in thickness, ranging from about 3 to 6 inches. However, the thickness is not really a big deal. The crib mattress’ density plays a bigger role. One way to check this is through a handprint test. Simply push on the mattress with your palm and take note of how much time it spend going back to its normal shape. The faster, the better. Of course, no one wants a cratered mattress. The consistency should be even all throughout.
- The next popular mattress type is the innerspring. This is a little more expensive because it is more durable and provide firmer support than the foam mattress. The increased support will benefit your baby because it guarantees more safety. However, some babies require a little more time in getting used to this specific type of mattress. Another downside will be its heaviness. It can take up more effort in changing the sheets and cleaning the mattress itself.
- Since the trend these days is going organic, some parents feel more at ease if they go for organic products. An organic mattress is now made available and can either be a foam mattress or an innerspring one. Of course, expect the price tag to be a little more hefty. The good news about is that it does not have any compounds or chemicals that might be harmful to a baby. Sure, all mattresses being sold on the market have passed quality checks and safety standards, but the organic ones probably will top the list on all of these.
Meanwhile, there are some really clever parents who opt for cost-effective cribs and mattresses. You known, the ones that your baby can grow into. After all, cribs and mattresses are huge purchases. You will be shelling out serious bucks. However, this means that you need to invest on specially made mattresses which are designed to simultaneously transition along with the crib. Truth be told, the durability of a mattress is not really because of the brand. It has more to do with how you take care of it. Here are some tips you can try, so you will not have to constantly wonder when to replace your baby’s crib mattress.
How To Make The Most Out Of Your Baby’s Crib Mattress
- Regularly flip the mattress. Not only will it keep the mattress in great shape, but it will also help avoid accumulation of bacteria and germs.
- Use sheet protectors. This can avoid any fluids to get seeped through the deep layers of the mattress.
- Check for warranty. If you encounter problems with the mattress, changing it right away may be bad for the budget, but a lot worse for your baby. Adjustment period takes time. You do not want your baby to suffer sleepless nights.
You have work cut out for you when buying a mattress for your little one. Why not ask family or friends about their crib mattress recommendations to at least have an idea? Ask them to accompany you once you decide to start the hunt for your baby’s mattress, since they already have experiences on the matter. Ultimately, though, the choice is up to you. Hopefully, you find all the information I shared here useful. Best of luck!